The words never match the thoughts on my mind.
I use this space for fun things on Tumblr.
Main blog here.
today’s very important post
THAT BOBCAT LOVES THAT BOY
He’s scent marking the hell outta that boy. So this is basically the equivalent of him saying “MINE, MINE, MINE, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!”
The beach airport on the isle of Barra in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides. This is the only place in the world where scheduled flights use a beach as the runway.
HOW TO LIVE LIKE A KING FOR VERY LITTLE
by Thor Harris
1. DON’T SMOKE CIGARETTES.
2. DRIVE OLD JAPANESE CARS. EASY AND CHEAP TO FIX & THEY RUN FOR FUCKING EVER.
3. BUY MOST OF YOUR GROCERIES FROM THE PRODUCE SECTION. MOST OF THAT OTHER SHIT IS NOT ACTUALLY FOOD. YOU DON’T NEED IT.
4. RIDE YOUR BIKE INSTEAD OF DRIVING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. YOU NEED THE EXERCISE AND GAS IS EXPENSIVE.
5. DON’T HAVE KIDS. THEY’RE NOT MIRACLES, THEY’RE PEOPLE. 7 BILLION IS TOO FUCKING MANY. FIND SOME OTHER WAY TO GIVE YOUR DULL EXISTENCE SOME MEANING. BTW THEY’RE EXPENSIVE.
6. GET YOUR CLOTHES FROM THRIFT STORES. WITH THE PHYSIQUE YOU’LL HAVE FROM RIDING YOUR BIKE, YOU’LL LOOK HOT WEARING ANYTHING.
7. LEARN TO FIX THINGS. TONS OF GREAT BOOKS AND YOUTUBE VIDS ON FIXING ANYTHING. OR ASK AN OLD DUDE. PEOPLE USED TO FIX THINGS. NO SHIT.
8. LEARN A TRADE – CARPENTRY, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, AUTO MECHANICS, TAILORING, COMPUTER/ELECTRONICS REPAIR, SOMETHING THEY CAN’T FUCKING OUTSOURCE. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR MASTERS IN DOSTOYEVSKY…. FIX SOMETHING, DUMBASS, FIX SOMETHING!
9. IF YOU LIKE BOOZE, DRINK AT HOME WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS. DRUNK DRIVING IS FOR ASSHOLES, RICH ONES WITH LAWYERS.
10. DO PEOPLE FAVORS. IT’S CALLED COOPERATION. IT’S HOW THE WORLD WORKED BEFORE MONEY. THEY WILL RETURN THE FAVOR, OR SOMEONE WILL. NO SHIT. THIS REALLY WORKS.
11. MAKE THINGS – LOOK AROUND YOU. WHAT DO YOU SEE? YAH, SHITTY STUFF MADE BY IMPOVERISHED ENSLAVED PEOPLE FAR AWAY. PICK ANYTHING. MAKE A BETTER ONE. PEOPLE WANT GOOD SHIT. YOU WON’T GET RICH, BUT YOU’LL GET BY.
12. IF YOU LIVE IN AMERICA – DON’T GET SICK AND AVOID INJURY. WEAR YOUR FUCKING HELMET AND PUT LIGHTS ON YOUR BIKE.
13. FIND WORK YOU LOVE. IF YOU CAN’T DO THAT, THEN FIND A JOB WHERE YOU LOVE THE PEOPLE.
14. JUNKIES AND ADDICTS ARE LIKE TODDLERS. THEY JUST WANT TO SHIT ALL OVER YOU AND EVERYTHING. THE MESSES THEY MAKE CAN GET EXPENSIVE. AVOID THEM IF YOU CAN.
15. DON’T BUY SHIT ON CREDIT, REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO AMERICA? CASH ONLY, FUCKERS. CAN’T AFFORD IT? DON’T FUCKING BUY IT!
16. PREVENTABLE EXPENSES - STD’S, ABORTIONS, DWI’S, LUNG CANCER, HEAD INJURIES, SPEEDING TICKETS, CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER.
17. DON’T GO ON FANCY DATES IF YOU’RE NOT FANCY. MOST PEOPLE KIND OF DESPISE THE RICH ANYWAY.
18. WHEN YOU GO SEE SHOWS, BRING A FLASK IN. THAT WAY YOU CAN AFFORD TO BUY A RECORD.
19. IF YOU HAD TOLD ME 15 YEARS AGO THAT COCA COLA WOULD PUT TAP WATER IN PLASTIC BOTTLES AND MOTHERFUCKERS WOULD BUY IT …… NO FUCKIN WAY.
20. DON’T GET CABLE. ASSHOLE. THERE IS NOTHING ON. I PROMISE. $100 A MONTH ? FUCK NO!
THIS LIST WAS EDITED BY STACEY YATES WITH CONTRIBUTIONS FROM JHEREK BISHOFF, CHAD RAINES & AMANDA PALMER. WE LIVE IN A WASTEFUL SOCIETY. LIVE WELL. IT DON’T TAKE MUCH. REALLY.
(p.s. i posted this here for thor, who plays drums with me, cause he’s got no tumblr. you should also check out thor’s now-famous “HOW TO TOUR IN A BAND OR WHATEVER”, it’s just as awesome as this if not awesomer: http://beenlookingforthemagic.tumblr.com/post/1427157150/how-to-tour-in-a-band-or-whatever-by-thor-harris thor forever x a)
1. My Bloody Valentine @ Barrowlands, Glasgow
2. Bohren Und Der Club of Gore @ Off Festival, Katowice
3. Roger Waters: The Wall Live @ Wembley Stadium, London
4. Mew @ Ja Ja Ja Festival, London
5. Amusement Parks on Fire @ The Rescue Rooms, Nottingham
Total number of shows?
Last.fm says 25 but I am sure there was more.
First show of the year?
Amusement Parks on Fire @ O2 Academy 2, London, 1st February.
Last show of the year?
The Twilight Sad @ The Liquid Room. So much better than their Barrowlands gig about a year before. So much love for these boys.
Most surprising show?
Either The Wall Live, because I’d never expect to see that in my life, or the Knife’s Shake the Habitual show because what the hell? In a good way.
Shellac - I’d wanted to see them for a while and kept missing them, but their live sound at Primavera was a bit rubbish.
Barcelona for Primavera and Katowice for Off, same as last year.
States attended shows in?
Usually a mixture of excitement, exhaustion, drunkenness and impatience.
Venue most visited?
The Electric Circus down the road from us with 6 shows (Robin Guthrie Trio, stripped back Twilight Sad, Miaoux Miaoux, Art Brut, Brendan Benson, Young Light) and the Banshee Labyrinth with three: Memory Drawings, Fieldhead / A-Sun Amissa, Muscletusk / Convex Mancave.
Worst injury? None!
Most expensive ticket?
Primavera (round £99) and The Wall Live (£60), but both were presents.
Band seen the most?
My Bloody Valentine 4 times - Glasgow, London, Barcelona and Katowice.
Best new discovery?
John Grant and Shield Patterns come to mind.
Bands seen this year that also broke up this year?
None that I can think of.
Friends made at shows?
Hmm, not really. Met some lovely people after a long time though (I’m looking at you, Frengers who came to the Roundhouse gig).
Band members met?
Well, Amusement Parks on Fire, Spotlight Kid and then basically whoever played at Pendulum Man’s gigs and stayed in our living room.
Best souvenir from a show?
Merch-wise, MBV tote bag and Savages T-shirt. I also got Brendan Benson’s setlist. And a ton of photos, because they count too.
Longest time in line?
I don’t recall any queueing.
Shows seen from the barricade [front row]?
MBV @ Barrowlands. Most of the small gigs had no such thing as a front row as people were scattered around the room. I was in front of the barrier (in the photo pit) at Amanda Palmer’s, Twilight Sad’s and Savage’s gig for at least a little bit.
Most shows in one month?
5 in February (2x Amusement Parks on Fire, Robin Guthrie Trio, Memory Drawings and The Twilight Sad stripped back) - counting Primavera and Off as single events.
Most shows in one week?
First three February gigs and Mew, Savages and Bryan Ferry in November.
Biggest crowd? The Wall Live at Wembley Stadium I think.
Any drunk encounters?
I remember saying drunken shite to Julian aka Miaoux Miaoux in the summer.
Top 5 best 2013 concert moments:
1. The first seconds of the MBV gig in Glasgow. I cried happy tears.
2. Seeing so many lovely Frenger faces at the Roundhouse Mew gig.
3. Bradford Cox’ stage banter at Off about openness to the gay population.
4. Jehnny Beth from Savages smiling at me. I melted a little.
5. Admiring that dude of 65daysofstatic’s incredible attractiveness. I am shallow I know.
Top 3 worst 2013 concert moments:
1. Hearing The Smashing Pumpkins from the distance. Hilarious as well, but saddening for the most part.
2. The realisation that Conquering Animal Sound are not a good band anymore. Sad times.
3. And once again, the horrible, horrible sound at Shellac’s show. I missed Solange for that, too, and then she cancelled her Off show. Zero win.